Home Page - General information
Welcome to the Miller Place School District
As things evolve with any potential Spring Season modifications or scheduling for the Fall 2020-2021 season, I will update here as Connect-Ed messages are reserved for COVID-19 & Distance Learning information.
Please stay safe and as healthy as possible during these uncertain times.
You may reach out with any questions via our District emails
The Miller Place Athletic Department
Ron Petrie; Director of Athletics email@example.com
Stacey Hammond; Athletics Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
Hannah Kuemmel; Athletic Trainer email@example.com
FALL SPORTS (March Start) Visitor Policies
Per Section XI, Spectators are permitted with restrictions for certain sports. Individual Districts may be more restictive than what is implemented by Section XI or NYS.
As of 3/16/21 the MPSD is permitting 2-spectators per Athlete
INDOOR SPORTS - HOME Spectators ONLY per Section XI
OUTDOOR SPORTS - HOME & AWAY Spectators are BOTH permitted
Entrants must provide an access badge/pass or be on a District provided gate list to gain entry.
Details for All Schools within Section XI regarding
for individual Schools can be located here.
Individual Districts may adjust their approach to spectators so please reach out to the Athletic Office for the latest information on attendance.
Adjusted Tryout/1st Practice Dates for all 2020-2021 Seasons
Per Section XI Athletic Council vote on 9/11/20
HS Winter Season - Jan. 4th, 2021 - Family ID registration opens Dec. 4th, 2020
MS Early Winter - Jan. 4th, 2021 - Family ID registration opens Dec. 4th, 2020
MS Late Winter - Feb. 8th, 2021 - Family ID registration opens Jan. 8th, 2021
HS Fall Season - March 1st, 2021 - Family ID registration opens Jan. 30th, 2021
MS Fall Season - March 22nd, 2021 - Family ID registration opens Feb. 22nd, 2021
HS Spring Season - April 26th, 2021 - Family ID registration opens Mar. 26th, 2021
MS Spring Season - May 10th, 2021 - Famly ID registration opens Apr. 10th, 2021
As of Sept. 21st, 2020...NYSPHSAA & Gov. Cuomo have approved that scholastic (school-based) teams can begin off-season workouts. The guidlines for such can be found on pages 6-7 of the NYSPHSAA "Return to Interschool Athletics" document. This can be viewed HERE.
Some parameters for such workouts are...
1. These are NOT INTRAMURALS. Anything offered are sport-specific and involve a progression of conditioning to skill development.
2. Scheduling such workouts is not mandated by the MPSD or the Athletic Dept., and is completely at the discretion of individual coaches. Factors such as comfort with current parameters, season start dates or past practice of providing workouts all may impact such opportunities. Those decisions are to be respected.
3. Coaches who choose to offer such workouts are permitted to determine what grade levels are invited associated to their responsibilities. HS level coaches are not mandated to open workouts to students at the MS level. They have such an option and if permitted that will be communicated by the coach.
4. Information will be distributed to students about such opportunities via emails, announcements in school. No schedules will be posted as that is not the practice for non-mandated schedules.
5. Workouts are 100% voluntary for student-athletes with rosters not determined until the tryout period ensues.
6. Schedules WILL NOT be posted but you may reach out to the Athletic Office/Dept. to obtain information about what programs/levels are available.
LEARNING PLATFORMS & ATHLETICS ELIGIBLITY
NYSED & NYSPHSAA have stated their approach for Hybrid & Distance learning models to accomodate students for Athletic participation. (see below for the official document). In summary, to be considered a "bona fide" & eligible via either a Hybrid or Distance Learning/Remote approach...students meet the following criteria:
- Must be enrolled for the first 15 days of the semester
- Be enrolled in 3 core courses via a Hybrid or Distance Learning model
- Have a regular attendance of 80 percent of the school time (personal illness exceptions fall under the parameters of school attendance policies)
- Must meet the mandates for Physical Education (enrolled in 1 course per semester...Athletics participation will not be substituted for PE credit)
If a parent chooses to "home school" their child they are no longer considered "bona fide" and are ineligible to participate in athletics
Please use the following link for additional information from NYSPHAA regarding issues associated to COVID-19 and Athletics.
Other information you will find includes links to Section XI for complete sports schedules...under the SPORTS SCHEDULES tab
Visit the Athletic Trainer page for the latest research and information.
Should you have specific questions please contact the athletic office during the hours of 7:30 am to 2:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Phone: (631) 474-2723 ext. 307