Sports Participation Guidelines-The Basics
SPORTS PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS
- Students must have a VERIFIED RESIDENCY permitting attendance of Miller Place School District schools.
- Students must be considered a BONA-FIDE STUDENT ATHLETE to participate.
- Students must be ACADEMICALLY ELIGIBLE or be granted PROBATIONARY STATUS to participate.
- Students must have a VALID SPORTS PHYSICAL reviewed and on-file with the School Health Office prior to participation. Additionally, there may not be any “outstanding” medical clearances required for Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac, etc. All sports physicals MUST BE WITHIN 1 Year to the month in which a season starts to be accepted.
- Students must COMPLETE ONLINE REGTRATION process through Family ID. This will require acknowledgments as well as demographic information.
- Students must be in GOOD BEHAVIORAL STANDING with HS and Athletics Administration.
- Students must meet EXPECTATIONS of COACHING STAFF, which may be more restrictive than current District policies. Such expectations could impact roles on teams as well as playing time. These include:
- Attitude/Behavior during practices and contests
- Effort during practice
- Understanding of concepts & execution of skills
- Physical conditioning
Daily Participation Eligibility Requires can be found here and are specific to daily attendance & academics for both MS & HS participation.
District transportation expectations can be found here.
General guidelines are:
- Students are expected to take district transportation to events UNLESS there is an academic conflict the prevents being available for the scheduled departure time...(EX: SAT, ACT, PSAT or AP Testing), or a special circumstance cleared in conversation with the Athletic Director.
- Students are expected to take district transportation home from events, but parents may request permission by emailing the Athletic Director prior to 2:00pm the day of the event.
- If emergency off-site adjustments are necessary, there are forms with coaches. If this requires a non-family member to provide transportation, there must be some method of verification from all parties involved.
This is a guide to help navigate the NCAA recruiting process