Welcome to the Miller Place School District
As things evolve with any potential Spring Season modifications or scheduling for the Fall 2020-2021 season, I will update here as Connect-Ed messages are reserved for COVID-19 & Distance Learning information.
Please stay safe and as healthy as possible during these uncertain times.
You may reach out with any questions via our District emails
The Miller Place Athletic Department
Ron Petrie; Director of Athletics email@example.com
Stacey Hammond; Athletics Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
Hannah Kuemmel; Athletic Trainer email@example.com
1. How will the following scenarios such as HYBRID, FULL DISTANCE-LEARNING/REMOTE INSTRUCTION or HOME SCHOOLING options impact my child's ability to participate in sports?
ANSWER: NYSED & NYSPHSAA have stated their approach for Hybrid & Distance learning models to accomodate students for Athletic participation. (see below for the official document). In summary, to be considered a "bona fide" & eligible via either a Hybrid or Distance Learning/Remote approach...students meet the following criteria:
- Must be enrolled for the first 15 days of the semester
- Be enrolled in 3 core courses via a Hybrid or Distance Learning model
- Have a regular attendance of 80 percent of the school time (personal illness exceptions fall under the parameters of school attendance policies)
- Must meet the mandates for Physical Education (enrolled in 1 course per semester...Athletics participation will not be substituted for PE credit)
If a parent chooses to "home school" their child they are no longer considered "bona fide" and are ineligible to participate in athletics
2. What is the current status for Fall Sports, as well as sports in general regarding their start for the 2020-2021 School Year?
ANSWER: NYSPHSAA has moved the FALL START DATE for all traditional Fall sports to Sept. 21st, 2020. No further guidance has been provided from Governor Cuomo, NYSED or NYSPHSAA regarding organzied interscholastic activities (preseason or other-wise)... and the status of Winter & Spring start dates. When those are received they will be posted/updated.
Tryout/1st Practice Dates for all 2020-2021 Seasons
All HS Sports (including football) - (9/21/20)
MS Fall Sports - (9/21/20)
MS "Early Winter" Sports - TBD
HS Winter Sports - TBD
MS "Late Winter" Sports - TBD
HS Spring Sports - TBD
MS Spring Sports - TBD
3. Sports Physicals Expiration “expiration” notifications through Family ID, and what are families to do under the current situation?
UPDATED 5/28/2020!!! ANSWER: FOR THE FALL 2020 SEASON...students will be permitted to participate/tryout as long as they have a "school Physical Examination on file for 2018-2019 (or) 2019-2020 school years.
Once registrations open in July 24th - for HS, and on August 8th for MS...we will cross-reference physicals for verification. Part of the registration process will include a NYSED REQUIRED 30-Day medical intake which must be completed for the registration to be submitted. We have always done this so this is not a new process.
The only reasons you may need to visit your Physician for the FALL sports participation is if you DO NOT have a School Physical on file for the two years prior. Parents may still opt to go through the process via well-visits or other means if they so choose. Please submit those completed forms to the School Nurse.
WINTER & SPRING SEASONS (2020-2021)...currently these seasons are not subject to this exam extension and will require physicals to be current based on the following dates.
- Early Winter MS Sports - Exam date must be on or after 11/10/2019
- Winter HS Sports - Exam date must be on or after 11/17/2019
- Late Winter MS Sports - Exam date must be on or after 1/20/2020
- Spring HS Sports - Exam date must be on or after 3/16/2020
- Spring MS Sports - Exam date must be on or after 3/23/2020
The below statement is the most recent from both NYSED & NYSPHSAA
Permit student athletes to participate in the fall 2020 sports season if they have previously had a health examination for school attendance in the 2018-2019 or 2019-2020 school years and provide a health history completed (Sample Recommended NYSED Interval Health History for Athletics) and signed by the parent/guardian within 30 days of the start of the season. Student athletes who have not previously had a health examination must still obtain a health examination prior to participation in the fall 2020 sports season. At this time, students should plan to obtain the required health examination prior to participation in the winter or spring 2020-21 seasons, although that may change depending on the status of COVID-19 in the fall. The Department will provide updated information as needed.
4. Can my son or daughter use District Facilities to train/work-out this summer in any capacity?
ANSWER: Per Superintendent and BOE decision, school facilities are open for public use by individual community members. This includes fields, track & tennis courts. All BOE regualtions are in effect. Large groups (more than 8) or private organziations must submit a permit for use and provide appropriate insurance documentation. Organzied interscholastic (school-based) activities ARE NOT PERMITTED at this time.
Please use the following link for additional information from NYSPHAA regarding issues associated to COVID-19 and Athletics.
Other information you will find includes links to Section XI for complete sports schedules...under the SPORTS SCHEDULES tab
Visit the Athletic Trainer page for the latest research and information.
Should you have specific questions please contact the athletic office during the hours of 7:30 am to 2:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Phone: (631) 474-2723 ext. 307