MILLER PLACE HIGH SCHOOL
ELEVENTH GRADE ENGLISH SYLLABUS
- REQUIRED MATERIALS:
- 3-RING BINDER
- LOOSE-LEAF/FILLER PAPER & FOLDER
- 4 DIVIDERS (TO BE LABELED: LITERATURE, REGENTS, WRITING, AND OTHER)
- FLASH DRIVE (Essays will be written at home and in school)
* YOUR FIRST GRADE FOR THIS CLASS WILL BE A NOTEBOOK CHECK ON ________
- BEHAVIOR POLICY:
- I REALIZE THAT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ADDRESS YOUR BEHAVIOR, AS YOU ARE ALL NEARLY ADULTS AND PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS. HOWEVER, PLEASE KNOW THAT ANY DISRESPECTFUL OR DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR WILL NOT BE TOLERATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
- SCHOOL RULES APPLY TO THE CLASSROOM (NO HATS, PHONES. . .)
- ACADEMIC EXPECTATIONS:
- I WILL ACCEPT LATE HOMEWORK, ASSIGNMENTS AND PAPERS FOR HALF CREDIT UP TO THE LAST DAY OF THE QUARTER. ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN CLASS AND POSTED ON THE BOARD.
- BE PREPARED FOR CLASS. ALWAYS BRING THE APPROPRIATE MATERIALS AND BE IN YOUR SEAT AND READY TO BEGIN WHEN THE BELL DO NOT PACK UP YOUR BOOKS BEFORE I CONCLUDE THE LESSON. I WILL NEVER KEEP YOU AFTER THE BELL.
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MISSED WORK DUE TO ABSENCE. SEE ME AFTER CLASS ABOUT YOUR MISSING WORK AND DUE DATES. ANY WORK YOU DO NOT COMPLETE WILL BE A ZERO AT THE END OF THE QUARTER! CHECK INFINITE CAMPUS OFTEN.
- GRADING POLICY:
- HOMEWORK = 20%
- CLASSWORK = 30%
- MAJOR ASSIGNMENTS = 50%
- COURSE OUTLINE (THIS IS ONLY A BRIEF OVERVIEW):
- NOVELS: THE GREAT GATSBY , INDEPENDENT READING, TBA
- PLAYS: DEATH OF A SALESMEN or ALL MY SONS
- WRITING: LITERARY ANALYSIS ESSAYS, REGENTS ESSAYS, SHORT RESPONSES, COLLEGE ESSAY AND OTHER CREATIVE PIECES.
- POETRY UNIT: VARIOUS POETS AND WRITING
- SHORT STORY UNIT: VARIOUS AUTHORS
- GRAMMAR LESSONS
- REGENTS EXAM PREP
- BRIEF COLLEGE UNIT
* QUARTER 1-4 = 80% of your grade
MIDTERM & REGENTS = 20% of your grade
It is expected that students will use genuine, sincere, and fair means for the accomplishment of the tests, tasks, or projects from which evaluations of progress shall be determined. Any student found plagiarizing, copying or cheating in any way will be subject to academic penalties. This also includes assisting or giving your work to another student to hand in as his/her own. In this event BOTH students will be held equally responsible. The student’s parents, guidance counselor and an administrator will be contacted. Further disciplinary action will be taken by the administration.
Examples of academic misconduct include but are not limited to:
- Assisting another student in any of the above actions
Student Signature Date
Parent Signature Date